Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 78
Posts: 78   Pages: 8   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3837 times and has 77 replies Next Thread
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Is the World Community Grid energy-inefficient? Perhaps the project scientists should use a supercomputer instead?

The question is now how many times do we have to watch Henny Penny gun down Chicken Little before they figure out that there has been a murder.
Humpty Dumpty was arrested for conspiracy, but tried to go over the wall.

Think about that little girl before you press the off switch tonight
I thought about it, and decided to come home with another CPU chip and a power supply/cabinet. Memory and hard drive will follow later.
----------------------------------------
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Edit 1 times, last edit by retsof at Nov 24, 2007 5:55:58 PM]
[Nov 24, 2007 5:53:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:
Re: Is the World Community Grid energy-inefficient? Perhaps the project scientists should use a supercomputer instead?

Thanks retsof

[Nov 24, 2007 7:37:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
courine
Master Cruncher
Capt., Team In2My.Net Cmd. HQ: San Francisco
Project Badges:
rose Re: Is the World Community Grid energy-inefficient? Perhaps the project scientists should use a supercomputer instead?

The question is now how many times do we have to watch Henny Penny gun down Chicken Little before they figure out that there has been a murder.
Humpty Dumpty was arrested for conspiracy, but tried to go over the wall.

Think about that little girl before you press the off switch tonight
I thought about it, and decided to come home with another CPU chip and a power supply/cabinet. Memory and hard drive will follow later.

Yes, I think about her a lot! I have enough parts in-house to think about her a more. Much more. crying

[Nov 24, 2007 8:33:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

I'm sorry courine

[Nov 25, 2007 4:47:37 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
courine
Master Cruncher
Capt., Team In2My.Net Cmd. HQ: San Francisco
Project Badges:
biggrin Re: Is the World Community Grid energy-inefficient? Perhaps the project scientists should use a supercomputer instead?

Oh dont be. The more people get to know that little girl, the more devices will be showing up to make her dream come true.

[Nov 25, 2007 8:50:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

praying

[Nov 25, 2007 9:07:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Personally, I don't care how much energy my computer uses. I see my crunching for FA@H and HCC as something I can do to help out. Money isn't the issue. BTW my dual-core AMD 64 Athlon X2 does two at a time plus I run Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 so I can do another.
[Nov 27, 2007 5:37:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:
Re: Boinc Damaging the Environment.

Has anyone considered all the power that is used by Boinc computing. I put a wattage meter on my two pc's and found that when doing nothing, just setting there they consumed 23w. But when are both crunching WCG Bonic work units they are consuming 650 watts.

what Frankenshein are you using?
mine APC UPS says that I use the 100W (peak at 105W) of power for only PC with BOINC crunching...on other PC the power meter is not present on APC software, and the APC didn't tell me how to enable it?!

maybe you should try powering down the monitor & not using the screensaver...
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[Nov 27, 2007 11:14:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Personally, I don't care how much energy my computer uses. I see my crunching for FA@H and HCC as something I can do to help out. Money isn't the issue. BTW my dual-core AMD 64 Athlon X2 does two at a time plus I run Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 so I can do another.

The VM on the same machine running BOINC? Bet you that at the end of the day you still report the same average CPU hours of computation. Adding a VM is more likely adding a bunch of overhead.

Any experts present on this?
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Nov 27, 2007 11:30:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Sekerob:
"The VM on the same machine running BOINC? Bet you that at the end of the day you still report the same average CPU hours of computation. Adding a VM is more likely adding a bunch of overhead."

I shut down my VPC for two days to see whether or not there would be any shortening of time it took my dual processor to finish each work unit. It works out to about an hour less each. I'm turning the VPC back on. Besides, I like seeing my total points increase and my rank drop. : )
OK, so my motives aren't 100% pure............ Hey! I'm about to cruise past a million points pretty soon.
[Dec 1, 2007 12:46:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 78   Pages: 8   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread