Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 22
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3456 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Starting out in AfricanClimate@Home

Well, I have downloaded my first work unit for ACH (AfricanClimate@Home) so I should start running it on my Windows XP SP2 computer in about 3 hours. I suppose I might as well write a post explaining what I think this project is about, so people can correct my mistakes.

Reading the Member News posted by knreed ( http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=16044 ), the project description ( http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/projects_showcase/ach/viewAchAbout.do and http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/projects_sh...ewAchFaq.do?shortName=ach and http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/projects_showcase/ach/viewAchPart.do ), the project website ( http://www.csag.uct.ac.za/ and http://www.csag.uct.ac.za/worldcommunitygrid ) and the WRF (Weather Research and Forecasting Model) site at http://www.wrf-model.org/index.php , I have some ideas that I am hazy about.

ACH is trying to model the climate around South Africa. This is a Regional Climate Model. Reading the WRF site, the programs split up the world into tiles. Are our work units treating all of Southern Africa as one tile, meaning that each work unit spans the entire region, or is each work unit assigned a much smaller area within the Southern Africa region?

I have heard that each work unit will model 2 weeks of weather and that each trial model will be iterated 27 times, covering a span of 378 days. This brings up some vocabulary questions, A model will be broken up into work units, then run to span 2 weeks. After all the results are back, they will be used to create new work units to span the next 2 weeks and those will be sent out. Right now, I am calling that an iteration. What should I be calling it? For that matter, I am calling the overall run a 'model'. Is that right?

I assume that we will be running many different models. The most obvious possibilities are past years with known weather, to check the model calculations and allow improvements to be made. But just what other sorts of models might we be running?

And I have a totally off-the-wall question. How much land does our model cover and how much ocean is included? This does not make any difference to me personally. It is just an example of the sort of questions that pop into my mind.

Another question is if there is any possibility that we will eventually make multi-year runs? Or do the current applications produce results that vary farther and farther from reality over longer time spans?

As I interpret the post in Member News, the final result is about 130 MB in size. This is a monster upload, especially since most Internet connections upload much slower than they download. Apparently the entire result file is hashed (a small number is produced by running a mathematical function over the entire result file) and each copy of the work unit sends back the hash number of its result file. If all the computers assigned the work unit send back the same hash number, then they all produced identical result files. The clever idea in this project is to have each computer assigned a specific tenth of the result file to send back. So 10 computers each receive the same work unit, but only send back 13 MB instead of about 130 MB. This is where my questions start. If one computer produces a different hash number and it was assigned (for example) the 5th part of the result to send back (out of 10 total), does the server resend the work unit to an 11th computer with an order to return the 5th part of the result? I am sure that knreed has been pondering all the different possibilities about just when to send out makeup copies and how many. Experience might lead to some changes, but it would be interesting to hear what we are dong at the very start.

Just thinking about the communication problems with all these uploads and downloads makes me glad that this is an opt-in project that nobody will get unless they decide to check it in 'My Projects'. It is definitely not for everybody.

But I am about to give it a try!

biggrin
Lawrence
[Sep 1, 2007 7:57:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Starting out in AfricanClimate@Home

As I read it, the tiles are much smaller. In a GCM, South Africa is modelled as 6 tiles. Here, it's 80+ tiles.

I think the model refers to the algorithms that control it. The whole run is called a simulation.

Now, for someone better informed to correct me....
[Sep 1, 2007 8:17:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
astroWX
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Added AC@H to my boinc installation on one machine. This is my first experience in WGG (4+ years with CPDN ) and I'm off on the wrong foot.

AC@H is the only WCG project selected; nonetheless, I was given a rosetta (Human Proteome...) Work Unit. To add insult to injury, boinc locked immediately on termination of last download file. (Locked only in the sense of Manager's not responding to the mouse; work continued to be processed.)

Because I'm running CPDN Beta on that box, both Core Client and Manager are running.: Zapping, then restarting, the Manager, boinc recovered a working copy of the Manager. Nothing lost, but I've set no new work because I don't want to run anything but AC@H here. (This miscreant will be allowed to finish, though.)

Inauspicious start, eh?
[Sep 1, 2007 9:08:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello astroWX,
I am not a BOINC expert, but I believe that when you first hook up to WCG, you get a random project downloaded. Then you can go to 'My Projects' to select which projects you will get in the future.

Lawrence
[Sep 1, 2007 9:31:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

one of several possibles

1. you have the back-up option ticked, which sends work of other WCG projects if the prime choice has none available.
2. you had the profile not attached to the device, at which time you probable were send the default (all)

As for the locking i.e. the boincmgr not communicating to the core client is usually a local configuration issue of a firewall be it the Woz internal or an other product. would expect you have all the localhost and port exceptions such as 31416 configured to add port 443 for uploading to 129.33.89.134 which is a WCG near exclusive requirement.
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Sep 1, 2007 9:38:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
astroWX
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Thanks for your responses, Lawrence and Sekerob. Appreciated.

In fact, when I selected projects, I did not choose to have other Project's work substituted. When initial download Messages showed that such a selection had been made, I started turning over rocks -- here on this site, in the boinc folder, and boinc/berkeley. Finally found the hardware profile; it knew that I wanted only AC@H but the option for other work was incorrectly transferred from my grid selection. Sounds like a minor glitch.
[Sep 1, 2007 10:17:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Finished crunching an AfricanClimate unit. They got priority on Boinc because of the shorter due time. Crunching this unit took my machine approximately eight hours, more than twice as long as with the other projects. Memory usage is normal. I didn't tweak bwdown btw, allthough it's way off of what it should be, as mentioned by others.
[Sep 2, 2007 11:23:47 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Finally found the hardware profile; it knew that I wanted only AC@H but the option for other work was incorrectly transferred from my grid selection. Sounds like a minor glitch.

I had exactly the same problem, solved the same way, although I aborted the unwanted workunits. The web interface is a little confusing for newbies like myself, probably because of the separate configuration for the United Devices client, and the Boinc client.
[Sep 2, 2007 11:53:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

The My Project page preferences proliferate to the Device (Hardware) profiles if the top level is changed. Handy for farm managers. The paragraph does say that it's for BOINC only, but it's overlooked at times. Such is life.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Sep 2, 2007 12:04:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

There's only something like 82 workunits available in the first go-around, so not everybody's going to get an AC@H. A larger number may show up later, but most of y'all may need something else to work on while you are waiting.
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Sep 2, 2007 1:40:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread