Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 16
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8304 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
applause Is there anyone who was alive 40 years ago who doesn't remember where they were on that day?

Special thread

I was in Santiago at my home smile

40 Years After Apollo 11, NASA Maps Out the Future

There are some clear trends in the NASA’s goals that seem likely to extend into the future. Manned exploration outside Earth’s orbit went away and cheaper, robotic missions gained prominence. The moon received less attention and the search for extraterrestrial life and exoplanets became concrete. Studying the Earth from orbit became a key goal, particularly with the hard-won knowledge that humans can create global change.

Don't forget to "tune in" to Mission Control and Tranquillity Base today!!!We choose the moon Lunar Orbit Begans

Start and speakers on applause
[Jul 20, 2009 8:39:45 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:
Re: Is there anyone who was alive 40 years ago who doesn't remember where they were on that day?

I don't remember where I was - although I've a pretty good idea, after all, there's not that many places a 16 month and 24 day old child could be... biggrin

Must surely have been a very special day for those that CAN remember back 40 years ago cool
----------------------------------------

[Jul 20, 2009 1:26:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Is there anyone who was alive 40 years ago who doesn't remember where they were on that day?

I was in an underground bunker in An Loc, Vietnam.
[Jul 20, 2009 1:36:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

I was in an underground bunker in An Loc, Vietnam.

We were neighbors. I was in the boonies somewhere around Da Nang. Although I knew it was going to happen, I didn't know it actually happened for a day or two.

peace

[Jul 20, 2009 2:01:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Who was born 9 months after?
[Jul 20, 2009 2:07:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

[Jul 20, 2009 3:04:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Dr. John Wilkins' plan for a lunar expedition — from 1638.

A 17th century mission to the Moon
The world is celebrating the amazing journey that Apollo 11 made to the Moon 40 years ago. But few realise that an early bid to reach the Moon was launched from England, way back in the 17th century.
Incredible as it may seem, one of the greatest scientific minds of the time, Dr John Wilkins, a founder of the Royal Society, was planning his own lunar mission four centuries ago around the time of the English Civil War.
It wasn't hot air either. Inspired by the great voyages of discovery around the globe by Columbus, Drake and Magellan, Dr Wilkins imagined that it would just be another small step to reach the Moon.

Wilkins, who was a brother-in-law of Oliver Cromwell, explored the possibilities in two books. Records show he began exploring prototypes for spaceships, or flying chariots as he called them, to carry the astronauts.

The Jacobean space programme, as Oxford science historian Dr Allan Chapman calls it, flourished because this was a golden period for science. Huge discoveries had been made in geography, astronomy and anatomy. Seventeenth century scientists were riding a wave.

Galileo's observations through the telescope had helped show that ancient ideas about the universe were wrong. The Moon's surface seemed similar to the landscape here on Earth. There were mountains, vast plains, and what they called pits and we call craters. .
[Jul 20, 2009 5:37:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Cannot see the NGS video JP. Just sits there saying "video will start after this advertisement". Saw snippet on TV, where Hollywood studios had applied image enhancing techniques... yes that footprint proofs it, we were there, 9 times in fact ;>)
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jul 20, 2009 5:52:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Howc weird Sek I can see it

Try this shorter one
[Jul 20, 2009 6:19:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Switched render engine from FFX to IE (IEtab add-on) which did the trick on the short. NGS remained dark. Thanks
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Jul 20, 2009 6:30:49 PM]
[Jul 20, 2009 6:28:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread