Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1090 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
GraffBayCity
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Team Messaging System

I'd like to suggest the addition of a team messaging system. It'd be nice to be able to send a message to the captain of another team directly from the statistics page. For example, my team and another was in a tight race for 3rd place in a challenge a while back - I lost by a very low number of points. I'd like to send a message to the other team congratulating them. Or, comment on a challenge or team name. Or talk smack, assuming one knows the opposing team.

It'd be ideal if the messaging system could be set up to require a form be filled out and then the WCG server forward the message in an e-mail to the destination. A capcha system and/or ignore list could be implemented, but given that most people on here are here because of the type of person they are, these control measures probably wouldn't be necessary.

Just an idea of something I've wanted to do several times since joining. What do you think?
----------------------------------------
[Dec 8, 2009 7:21:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MarceloPires
Cruncher
Brazil
Project Badges:
Re: Team Messaging System

Great idea. I support the suggestion.
[Dec 9, 2009 4:29:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Given the reservation of team to team comms limitation to captains, this suggestion kept in line, reserved for captains only. You'd have to be signed in, so a captcha would not really be needed.

On the challenge table there could be a mail symbol behind the team(s), that have had a message in in-tray. Think that would be rather involved though.

If nelsoc reads, to bolt on and may have proposed this before, but like the Challenge headers to include the totals contributed of all the teams participating. These totals also to appear on the challenge history http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/stat/viewAl...;pageNum=1&listType=3, so it's easy to see for all what for instance the X-Mas Challenge or the 2nd FA@H Challenge put in the drawer. Preferably all 3 categories, Time, Results, Points, but at least the total the challenge was set up for.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Dec 9, 2009 7:30:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

An interesting idea, but I think that posting a congratulations in the Teams forum would be more wide-reaching. The communication you mention would by necessity be limited to a captain-to-captain basis, but on the forums, you can post a message that can reach not just the entire team with whom you're competing, but other members will also see it and perhaps other teams in the challenge can chime in.

@Sek: This is something we'll think about adding to the challenge scoreboard page, but trying to cram that into the table view will only make that already cramped space even more crowded.
[Dec 9, 2009 2:40:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GraffBayCity
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Given the reservation of team to team comms limitation to captains, this suggestion kept in line, reserved for captains only. You'd have to be signed in, so a captcha would not really be needed.

That's what I intended, but for some reason didn't specify in my original post - captain to captain communication only. The captain can distribute a message to his team members himself via regular e-mail if he so desires.

The reason I brought up a captcha is because of the risk of spam any messaging system that forwards to an e-mail address presents. However, I think that the vast majority of people participating in WCG are here because they're good people, and hence would not spam. If a problem does come up in the future, a captcha system would be relatively simple to implement.

An interesting idea, but I think that posting a congratulations in the Teams forum would be more wide-reaching.

A lot of teams probably don't keep up on the forums. (I know I only looked at them when I had a problem before yesterday, when I had a question and a couple of suggestions.) The congrats was one example. Another is that there's a team named OhioRiverFishing. I live in Michigan, one state north, and would like to ask and discuss what types of fish they target, what tactics they use, if they've seen an impact from the asian carp, and how they're doing. Posting this in a public forum would probably be of little or no interest to most people.
[Dec 9, 2009 5:44:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

.....if they've seen an impact from the asian carp, ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGWiaqGjQaU
[Dec 11, 2009 1:45:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:

.....if they've seen an impact from the asian carp, ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGWiaqGjQaU

Way off topic ... and ... way cool!!! hypnotized

Thanks for that. <If there was actually a thumbs up smilie here ... I'd use it cool >

PS: A messaging system would be cool too. biggrin

cowboy

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dataman at Dec 11, 2009 3:13:30 AM]
[Dec 11, 2009 1:56:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread