Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 76
Posts: 76   Pages: 8   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 140791 times and has 75 replies Next Thread
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: RAMDisk

I have found that once a week or so, there won't be enough room in the RAMDisk to download a new CEP2 task (though no problems in running them). The easy way to deal with that is simply check "If there is no work available for my computer for the projects I have selected above, please send me work from another project" in the Device Profile. Since all the other projects (thus far) have no restrictions on download space, something else gets downloaded. Then, the next time around, there will be enough space for another CEP2 task. It works flawlessly for me, and I don't have to worry about not using my four cores 100% of the time.
[Dec 24, 2010 2:23:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I picked up 24GB (6x4) of some cheap DDR3-1333 for $250 or $10/GB!! shock Ram prices are falling like a rock these days! Anyways, I set up a 10GB RAMDisk using Superspeed RAMDisk Plus and simply dropped the entire BOINC data folder in there. I had to lower my cache from 1 day down to about 0.5 days because I kept getting the disk space warning but other than that, it's working great! biggrin Efficiency is about 0.5% better than with an SSD but atleast I won't be wearing out the write cycles on the drive now. smile
[Dec 26, 2010 10:27:29 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Also, when setting up your RAMDisk, be sure to set the size of the recycle bin for that drive (e.g., Drive E:) to the smallest amount (e.g., 1 MB in Win7). I also selected to delete files immediately on that drive. You will save a few hundred MB of valuable RAMDisk space that way from the default value that Windows assigns.

And then, in the BOINC preferences file (both local and web-based), be sure to allow the use of all that RAMDisk space for the disk drive.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jim1348 at Dec 27, 2010 10:44:01 AM]
[Dec 27, 2010 10:40:52 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Awsome tip Jim, thanks!
[Dec 28, 2010 5:28:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

XS fallwind,

You are more than welcome. I got a lot of help from the knowledgeable people here to get started, and now can use my 8 GB more effectively.
[Dec 28, 2010 9:08:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:

Hello everyone,
I'm about to go crazy on CEP2.
I have a lowly single core laptop running it (and it's about to hit
1 year so it's doin ok)
But I just bought some new hardware.
This computer is my first ever dedicated only to WCG.
Here's what I bought, (all prices in CDN dollars)

gigabyte z68x-ud4-b3 (it's able to handle up to PC17000 (2133 mhz ram plus)
it was 129 (after rebate) 189 normally, or I woulda got the sabertooth P67 for around $200

I7 2600K for $305

2 terrabyte HD and win 7 home 64 bit for $139 (bundle deal)

An antec something or other quiet tower and 430 watt power supply for $99
(quiet is important to me my alienware sounds like it's landing on the roof for an abduction)

No video card (not needed on board graphics good enuf)
No monitor yet gonna find a cheap one somewhere

Waiting on special order Gskill PC-17000 RAM (2133 MHZ) 8 GB $95

I realize that the RAM might be a little overkill,
and perhaps I should have gotten 16 GB of somewhat slower RAM
(since I want to put it all in a RAMDISK
hence my point of bringing back this thread) But what the heck. You only live once.

Once i get the RAM that I special ordered, and get around to putting it all together,
I'm going to need someone to explain to me
in small words how to make a directory for the data so that I can
run at least 4 CEP2 threads (and 4 other thread so to not create a bottleneck)
I've reread this thread a few times and I can build a computer from
scratch but the software side is my weak point.
I'm going on vacation in a week, when I get back I'll have the RAM
hopefully and have it put together and be raring to go (i'll buy a version
of speed disk or something so I can go 6 GB RAMDISK.

Thank you all for your patience, and really I guess I don't need a response
until I get back and let you know what program I have and what I've set the RAMDISK to. Just priming the pump biggrin

[Jul 23, 2011 9:57:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:

Well I got it set up now bought more RAM to bring it up to 16 GIGS.
Got the machine running on the stock cooler at 3.5 or 3.4 ghz (seen both with cpuz and the mother board util)
and the RAM at 1600 mhz. good enuf for now.
Next weekend if I have time going to put in liquid cooling and see what I can do for overclocking.
Bought dataram ramdisk and set up a 10 GIG Ramdrive, but other than installing in that directory completely
not sure how to set up some or all of Boinc in the directory (it's e drive in windows explorer.
I have read this thread a couple times maybe I'll just install it into that directory and set it to save upon shutdown. I looked for a 'data folder' couldnt find anything like that...

[Aug 21, 2011 8:35:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Crystal Pellet
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

...10 GIG Ramdrive, but other than installing in that directory completely
not sure how to set up some or all of Boinc in the directory (it's e drive in windows explorer.

You could reïnstall BOINC choosing Advanced and set the Program Directory as it was probably c:\program Files\BOINC, but change Boinc datadirectory to e.g. E:\BoincData.

If you are running Boinc as a service, you could change the BOINC-service property from automatic start to automatic delayed start, to be sure that after a boot your RAM-drive is up and running first.
As an extra you could set in your cc_config.xml in the options part: <start_delay>30</start_delay>

[Aug 23, 2011 6:33:09 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:

Thank you I will endeaver to do that Friday after I have installed liquid cooling. At 50% of cores running, it's in the high 60's... Somethings wrong.

[Aug 24, 2011 2:26:41 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
yoro42
Ace Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:

Currently using 4.8 GB Ram and have 24 .5 GB free. I plan to use 15 GB for RAMDisk on my W7 primary (i7 X980 12 core) system. To change over do I need to do anything special other than end the BOINC Manager (leaving the XP and W7 Laptop systems running), copy the data directory to the RAM drive & reboot?

[Aug 27, 2011 7:31:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 76   Pages: 8   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread