Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 23
Posts: 23   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 20762 times and has 22 replies Next Thread
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Building a fast computer for WCG

For a Q6600, which has 4 good OC-able cores the reason to upgrade would mostly be efficiency (performance vs power requirements).
A SB system could use slightly less power and do a bit more. It also OC's more efficiently, so it might make sense for some, if you can get one for the right price.
[Jul 13, 2011 1:17:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
krakatuk
Advanced Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

Yes, you are right. Efficiency is the main reason.
My Q6600 runs with 3,4Ghz and takes about 250W from the wall. I think now it's possible to get double performance for less power.
----------------------------------------

[Jul 13, 2011 4:57:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

Just had a look:
A Q6600 at 3.0GHz running 4 HCC takes about 106min (W7x64).
An i7-2600 at 3.6GHz running 8 HCC takes about 122min (Winx64).
An i7-2600K at stock on Ubuntu x64 running 8 HCC tasks takes about 107min.
Basically the i7-2600 is almost twice as fast as a 25% OC'd Q6600, as it does twice the number of tasks.
As for running costs, I think a stock i7-2600 is noticeably lighter on the power than a Q6600 system at stock, and perhaps up to 40% lighter than a heavily OC'd Q6600 (say 3.4 to 3.6GHz).
If you want to OC the i7-2600, I'm sure you could do more than twice the work of a Q6600 at 3.4GHz, but you would still need a decent Motherboard, PSU and a GPU.
By my reckoning Linux is 18% faster clock for clock than Win x64, but going by limited tasks.

Bottom line, it comes down to how much your electric costs. If it's dirt cheap, you don't need to upgrade so often, but in many parts of Europe it's likely to be in your financial interests to upgrade regularly.
You also have to think about the return. A Q6600 might fetch £50 ($80, 56 Euro) and the motherboard, DDR2 RAM and drive might get you another £50. In another 6months they might fetch half that. Now is not a bad time to upgrade if you can put the parts together yourself on the cheap.

PS. For perspective, an Intel dual core at 2GHz (average 2 or 3 year old laptop) takes 4h per task on Vista x86. So a slightly OC'd i7-2600K could do about 16 times as much work, at about 3 times the electric cost.
[Jul 13, 2011 9:16:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Do any of those projects use GPU power?

Computing for Clean Water
The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2
Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy - Phase 2
Help Conquer Cancer
Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2
FightAIDS@Home

Intermittent Projects
Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together - Phase 2
Help Fight Childhood Cancer
Influenza Antiviral Drug Search
The Clean Energy Project
Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together
[Jul 13, 2011 10:25:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi Seroph4x,
Currently there are no GPU-enabled projects on WCG. We are trying to enable HCC using OpenCL. A search using GPU will bring up lots of threads on this. There are a number of BOINC projects not on WCG that use GPUs. For example, look at GPUGrid and MilkyWay@Home. Folding@Home is a non-BOINC GPU project.

Lawrence
[Jul 13, 2011 10:38:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

An overclocked i7-2600k will do significantly more work than a Q6600 and use 30-40% less power. I've done extensive testing with ram on the WCG projects and there is no measurable difference with ram speeds above 1333 MHz. The new Z68 chipset boards have onboard graphics which eliminates the expense of a dedicated graphics card. There are many knowledgeable people here to help when you decide to build.
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by nanoprobe at Jul 14, 2011 1:36:56 PM]
[Jul 14, 2011 1:58:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BladeD
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Hi Seroph4x,
Currently there are no GPU-enabled projects on WCG. We are trying to enable HCC using OpenCL. A search using GPU will bring up lots of threads on this. There are a number of BOINC projects not on WCG that use GPUs. For example, look at GPUGrid and MilkyWay@Home. Folding@Home is a non-BOINC GPU project.

Lawrence

Is there a progress report on the status of enable HCC using OpenCL?
[Jul 14, 2011 8:13:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Here is a thread talking about the HCC GPU OpenCL program: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/...ad,31217_offset,20#326833
Hi Seroph4x,

Lawrence

Is there a progress report on the status of enable HCC using OpenCL?

[Jul 14, 2011 10:09:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

I've done extensive testing with ram and there is no measurable difference with ram speeds above 1333 MHz.

Is these "extensive testing" done only with WCG, or have you also done any benchmarking with more memory-demanding BOINC-projects like CPDN?

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Jul 14, 2011 11:47:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

I've done extensive testing with ram and there is no measurable difference with ram speeds above 1333 MHz.

Is these "extensive testing" done only with WCG, or have you also done any benchmarking with more memory-demanding BOINC-projects like CPDN?

Only with WCG. I'll update my previous post to add that.
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Jul 14, 2011 1:35:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 23   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread