Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 49
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14961 times and has 48 replies Next Thread
armstrdj
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Stuck workunits

I am looking for information on stuck workunits. If anyone is able to catch a stuck workunit and provide some information it would be appreciated.

1. When a stuck workunit is observed on Windows please take a look at the task manager. Look on the processess tab for any process with the image name "wcg_dsfl_vina_6.19_windows_intelx86". The one that is stuck should show 00 in the CPU column and should not change from 00. First verify that this is true. Next for this process can you post the value in the "CPU Time" column as well as the value in the "Threads" column.

2. If anyone has process explorer installed who experiences a stuck work unit can you find the stuck process (see above) in process explorer and right click and select properties. In the properties box select the "Threads" tab. How many threads do you see? If you see two threads select each thread and in the bottom information panel of the window what is the "State:" for the threads and is it changing? <edit>If there is only one thread also select it and check the "State:" value for the thread and note if it is changing. </edit>

3. For people with hung workunits are you running at 100% cpu or using a lower value?

4. Is the hung workunit only on Windows or are Linux or Mac users seeing hung workunits also?

Thanks,
armstrdj
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by armstrdj at Sep 19, 2011 4:30:43 PM]
[Sep 19, 2011 2:12:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Stuck workunits

"Process Explorer" is a utility by Microsoft (formerly Sysinternals).

--//--
[Sep 19, 2011 4:01:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
coolstream
Senior Cruncher
SCOTLAND
Project Badges:

--//--

...and here's a link wink

Crunching in memory of my Mum PEGGY, cousin ROPPA and Aunt AUDREY.
[Sep 19, 2011 4:58:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi armstrdj, hope this will help.
Task mgr shows 0 CPU usage, CPU time (from BoincTasks) is 04:00:06 (and stays there) Cant find any threads col .
Process mgr shows 2 threads (7888 & 6120) and both are suspended
The task is DSFL_00000014_0000052_0538_0
CPU is set not to exceed 70%
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Sep 20, 2011 5:32:56 AM]
[Sep 20, 2011 5:29:52 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
coolstream
Senior Cruncher
SCOTLAND
Project Badges:

If you don't see a 'Threads' column in Task Manager, click on 'View' in the menu bar and then 'Select Columns...'. You will then be able to add the 'Threads' column.

To make things easier to view, it is worthwhile expanding the width of the Task Manager window. Once done, Windows will remember these settings for next time.

Crunching in memory of my Mum PEGGY, cousin ROPPA and Aunt AUDREY.
[Sep 20, 2011 6:28:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks coolstream - I have another stalled task with the following details:
Task mgr - CPU%=0, CPU time=00:00:36 (BoincTasks=4:43:01), Threads=3 (yes - it says 3)
Process mgr - Threads=2 both in state=Wait:Suspended (other DFSL tasks show 2 threads that are changing state (running, user:request)
That's all for now
Update - 10 minutes later, the task mgr gives CPU time as 00:00:41
Update - each WU has 2 processes - one is wcg_dsfl_6.10_windows_intelx86*32 (all with 3 threads), and the other is wcg_dsfl_vina_6.19_windows_intelx86*32 (all with 2 threads) - the vina processes are using CPU, the other apparently not
Update - Task Mgr CPU time = BoincTasks CPU Time since last Checkpoint
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Former Member at Sep 20, 2011 9:08:05 AM]
[Sep 20, 2011 8:33:03 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
armstrdj
Project Badges:

Raul,

Thanks for the help. Are you able to run for a little bit with 100% cpu? If you are worried about heat you could run on 50% cores if you have a multi core cpu. I am curious if the problem continues with no cpu throttle.

Thanks,
armstrdj
[Sep 20, 2011 2:01:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

When I spot the next stalled task, I will up the CPU to 100% and see what happens
[Sep 20, 2011 2:22:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
armstrdj
Project Badges:

I was more interested to see if running without a throttle prevented tasks from becomming stalled.
[Sep 20, 2011 5:10:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

--//--

...and here's a link wink

Or http://live.sysinternals.com/ if you know what your looking for. coffee
[Sep 20, 2011 6:06:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread