Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 42
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9895 times and has 41 replies Next Thread
l_mckeon
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Any point to continuing with CPU version?

Is the CPU version of HCC worth crunching any more, considering the huge efficiency gains obtained from the GPU version, and with probably a lot more GPU cards specially on order which will speed up the process even further?

It seems like the CPU version has been relegated to a waste of electricity, something like continuing to crunch CPU tasks with an ancient P3 processor when much better machines are working which wipe the floor with it.
[Oct 24, 2012 2:09:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
johncmacalister2010@gmail.com
Veteran Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:
Re: Any point to continuing with CPU version?

Probably makes sense to finish the CPU tasks ready for processing, together with the GPU tasks...
----------------------------------------

crunching, crunching, crunching.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-core Processor with Windows 11 64 Pro.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor with Windows 11 64 Pro (part time)

smile
[Oct 24, 2012 2:14:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

This would really depend on whether or not all of the work required by the project can be done solely on the GPU client. If they can, it would make sense to run out the existing units and then move to just GPU. This would allow those CPUs to move to other projects.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Oct 24, 2012 2:37:23 AM]
[Oct 24, 2012 2:36:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Byteball_730a2960
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

How about those workplaces that crunch on PCs/laptops which don't have graphics cards.

Crunching is crunching irrespective of what you use.
Sure, I wouldn't power up a P3 24/7 specifically for WCG if I had access to something a lot better.
However, isn't one of the aims of distributed computing to use unused processor cycles? Every little bit helps.
[Oct 24, 2012 3:21:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BSD
Senior Cruncher

It seems like the CPU version has been relegated to a waste of electricity ...
Not in my house. cool
[Oct 24, 2012 3:59:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

HCC is our first GPU project. We have been working hard since March getting the new BOINC 7 server code running and working on website and background support.

biggrin So now we can discuss how we would like to run GPU projects for the future. How do we handle the widow's mite?

devilish I am never short of ideas, good or bad. Personally I would like to see a 'No Automatic Opt-in' policy for GPUs. In other words, though a member may choose to automatically select new CPU projects, any new GPU projects should be chosen manually. This is prudent since GPUs can be tricky and troublesome. We should develop standard methods of publicizing specific software needs for various GPU boards, The interesting questions arise when we have a project with CPU and GPU versions. My purely personal opinion is that we should have a CPU project check box and a GPU project check box. Both should count time for the same time badge. If ever a GPU board can run multiple GPU jobs, then we should count each separate job for time, just as we count each separate job for credits. This is what we are doing now. Everybody is credited equally for their time contributed to HCC even as the GPU contributors also earn vastly more credits. The job that runs for 2 hours on a CPU but in 1 minute on a GPU should be worth the identical amount of credits. blushing

But I think we should hedge our bets. Internally, we should retain a breakdown into CPU and GPU credits in case member demands result in a public display of this breakdown. It might make sense to retain the same breakdown for CPU and GPU time. If we ever change the badges to add a 'G' onto the GPU project badges, then we should be prepared to double the badges for projects that run on both CPU and GPU.

Ending on an aside, I normally run all projects without fiddling with selections. That way I let the WCG staff decide what projects should run in what proportions. But hearing that the flood of GPU HCC work units is placing a potential burden on the server software, I am switching my CPU cores to all non-GPU projects, omitting HCC. This is not a judgment against HCC. It is just pragmatic recognition that HCC will run faster even with no CPUs than it did before it had a GPU program. And maybe it will help the overworked server. laughing

Lawrence
[Oct 24, 2012 6:34:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Before HCC GPU launched, I did contemplate attempting to push my Emerald badge onwards to Sapphire - although, conidering the vastly superior capabilities of the GPU option and also the fact that I haven't reached my main goal of Emerald in all currently active projects, decided not to take the risk.

Basically, it would have taken me approx., ~100-120 days of solid HCC processing for my computer to add that 1 year onto my HCC totals - and thus, I didn't want to risk missing my ultimate goal by a matter of days.

[Oct 24, 2012 10:35:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:

Is the CPU version of HCC worth crunching any more, considering the huge efficiency gains obtained from the GPU version, and with probably a lot more GPU cards specially on order which will speed up the process even further?
It seems like the CPU version has been relegated to a waste of electricity, something like continuing to crunch CPU tasks with an ancient P3 processor when much better machines are working which wipe the floor with it.

What about people (like me) who's graphic card isn't accepted by the HCC GPU? I'm trying to make it to emerald right now.

CJSL

Crunching for a better world...

[edit]: added quote
I follow the Gimli philosophy: "Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe."
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cjslman at Oct 24, 2012 1:37:16 PM]
[Oct 24, 2012 12:07:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

cjslman,

Each can make their choice at what can be contributed and how, to add that knreed was quite clear on the matter and to paraphrase him: HCC continues on CPU through the end so all can crunch for this project that come to WCG. Beta test will come soon to package 3 [maybe more] HCC WU's in a single task, which unfortunately for the CPU crunchers will make the tasks for the real part-time crunchers a little long. See his post on this, regrettable, but technically unavoidable.
[Oct 24, 2012 12:29:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
vinas1
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Well, having invested in 50+ CPU cores, those of us that have all that money tied into CPU crunching are feeling more than a little bit left out. My honest opinion is that the GPU points are somewhat too generous and risk discouraging the CPU crunchers all together. I'm a little on the fence about this though, I mean with new technology comes more possibilities. GPU crunching is one of these things... Lower power, more results in less time, and much lower cost than CPU crunching. Maybe it's time to cut these rigs loose and just invest into all GPU? Or maybe I just shut them down and run a couple rigs and save on all that electricity. Decisions, decisions...

[Oct 24, 2012 1:12:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread