Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 70807 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Warren Rogers
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Only Getting GPU WU's

Hello everyone,

I had a question that I hope someone can answer. I am only getting GPU WU's and nothing for the CPU. I checked to see if this was the only project that was active and found that all of the projects that I have checked to do work are active. I know that I get what WU's are available at the time but since I've activated the GPU those are the only WU's that I get. Will I eventually get WU's from other projects or are the other projects going to have a GPU WU?

I'm currently using BOINC Manager 7.0.28.

Thank you in advance,

Warren
[Dec 10, 2012 6:51:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Only Getting GPU WU's

If you are running projects other than WCG then it is most likely that the GPU WCG WUs are your 'share' and you will get only other project CPU WU's.....
[Dec 10, 2012 6:56:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Warren Rogers
Cruncher

Thank you for the help but do you know why I'll only get the WCG GPU WUs if I'm running other projects as well as WCG. I like all of the work that I'm doing for Help Conquer Cancer but I would also like to continue doing work for the other projects as well.

Thank you,

Warren
[Dec 12, 2012 6:58:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
BladeD
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Are you running more than one GPU WU at a time?
----------------------------------------
[Dec 12, 2012 7:38:14 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thank you for the help but do you know why I'll only get the WCG GPU WUs if I'm running other projects as well as WCG. I like all of the work that I'm doing for Help Conquer Cancer but I would also like to continue doing work for the other projects as well.

Thank you,

Warren
If boinc is left at default settings and you have projects other than WCG, then they have an equal percentage 'share' of work - if you have 5 projects then each will have 20% share. So, your WCG share is probably taken by the GPU and no share is left for other WCG CPU work. If you wish to have CPU work at WCG then increase WCG percentage share until you start to get other CPU work. biggrin
[Dec 12, 2012 7:50:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Warren Rogers
Cruncher

Thank you very much that is very helpful. I'll do as you have suggested to get other WU's from WCG.
[Dec 12, 2012 8:46:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Note that v7 of BOINC opposed to v6 is not time based project weight/resource share managing but credit [host credit earned]. GPU tasks earn so much credit, that if you mix them with non-WCG projects that only have CPU sciences, the CPU share of WCG will be starved to make up, to compensate other projects attached to the client. Of course, if WCG is the only GPU project, that resource will be exclusively used by WCG.

This is the general theory. What comes into play in the latest test clients is, that you can manage how many sciences of each run concurrently. But that's for another day to discuss when the test client is promoted to production worthy.
[Dec 12, 2012 9:08:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Note that v7 of BOINC opposed to v6 is not time based project weight/resource share managing but credit [host credit earned]. GPU tasks earn so much credit, that if you mix them with non-WCG projects that only have CPU sciences, the CPU share of WCG will be starved to make up, to compensate other projects attached to the client. Of course, if WCG is the only GPU project, that resource will be exclusively used by WCG.
A further BOINC improvement would be for BOINC to allow the cruncher to select the type of a share. Time-based shares and credit-based shares are the two common types of shares. I can think of another type of share -- one based on the total throughput (CPU+GPU) of a machine-setup. Throughput-based shares, in my view, goes to the heart of what we want to share. Credit-based calculations for shares are made variant and non-deterministic from the lack of universality for a credit-unit vis-a-vis the lack of agreement between grids on how much to credit a WU; and time-based calculations for shares do not capture the correct value of shares due to the distortion introduced by the GPU's large performance-per-time disparity with CPUs.
;
; andzgridPost#732
;
[Dec 13, 2012 8:26:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

andz, here's the link to the alpha mail list to put you in direct connection with the developers http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/AlphaInstructions who'll be all too interested in your ideas and views. Bring safety helmet and crotch protector. It's all very civil though, most always ;>)
[Dec 13, 2012 8:48:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread