Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 108
Posts: 108   Pages: 11   [ Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 63013 times and has 107 replies Next Thread
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: MVN Forum Software

Because it's so weird to see a forum associated with a company like IBM that's so out of date. I was wondering if IBM doesn't want to help competitors by using their software so they chose software from a company that's nowhere close to being competition, but from what I'm reading, it seems to be something else. I just hope they at least care about the technical side because the health of my computer is at stake. At this early stage, I don't have much to loose by switching to F@H but I've had past technical issues and I decided I should try WCG. I hope I made the right choice.

You must have resolved your problem with the forum software because you seem to managed to post OK. If you have technical issues, please explain what they might be. If you run the BOINC software at 100% you will stress your machine. Make sure the dust bunnies are cleaned out.
Cheers
----------------------------------------
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Sep 1, 2015 3:17:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:

And am I the only one getting frequent internal service errors when trying to navigate to this forum?
I haven't heard of anybody having issues with internal service errors due to the forum sw. Please describe what issues you are having so the community can help with ideas.
I was wondering if IBM doesn't want to help competitors by using their software so they chose software from a company that's nowhere close to being competition
No, it's nothing like that. The point is that the technicians have other priorities (alpha/beta testing, etc) and the forum sw is not at the top of the list.
I just hope they at least care about the technical side because the health of my computer is at stake
Obviously, they care very much about the technical side and try to attend to technical issues as much as possible.
I don't have much to loose by switching to F@H but I've had past technical issues and I decided I should try WCG. I hope I made the right choice
You made the right choice, welcome to WCG.
and to twilyth:
As far as I can tell, you've contributed all of about 200 pts to the project. Why do you care?
That was uncalled for and quite rude. You complain that more could be done to attract more crunchers... you don't seem to be helping.

CJSL

Crunching for a better world...
I follow the Gimli philosophy: "Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe."
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Sep 1, 2015 3:53:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I've been needing to refresh the 500 error page to see the forum. I can reproduce it by clearing my browsing history before visiting the forum, then it happens every time. IE 11. I uploaded a video here.
[Sep 1, 2015 3:54:10 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

And this is what I get even without deleting browsing history:

(Error 500: Error executing SQL in MessageFolderDAOImplJDBC.create.)
[Sep 1, 2015 4:19:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KerSamson
Master Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:

I did not experience any similar problem (I use to use Firefox).
Maybe, you visited the forum from different locations with different IP addresses and your browser struggles with inconsistent cache resp. history content.

On my side, I am pretty satisfied with the current forum software. It fulfills its purpose. As long as the needs are achieved and the software is compliant with the host platform, there is no reason to change it. It is only cost and efforts which are better invested into crunching operation.

Cheers,
Yves
[Sep 1, 2015 12:52:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cjslman
Master Cruncher
Mexico
Project Badges:

BarryII, just as a process of elimination and just for giggles, have you tried another browser just to see what happens? Do you get the same error?

CJSL

Crunching like there's no tomorrow...
I follow the Gimli philosophy: "Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe."
Join The Cahuamos Team

[Sep 1, 2015 11:16:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I can't reproduce it in IE or any other browser at the moment. I'd tried a couple of times in Firefox and Chrome and had had no problem.

...the problem returned in IE. It seems that waiting 30-45 minutes between visits makes the 500 error return. The next time I wait that long before returning I'll try a different browser.

Another annoyance is that there's no daylight savings detection so the time is wrong even when I select my time zone.

And now that I edited this post, I see options to Preview, Edit, or Reset. Nothing about posting. Preview didn't post it. I'll try Edit...
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Sep 2, 2015 2:24:32 AM]
[Sep 2, 2015 1:40:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

FWIW, this forum could remain as a searchable archive until there's time to move the posts to a new forum, and a new forum could be started immediately. This forum has a Google search option which I bet could be configured to search an entire site, so with a new forum you can have a search tool to search the new and old forum while only being allowed to post to the new. There could be a note under the search box explaining this. A few important threads could be imported manually until there's time to import them all.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Sep 2, 2015 6:06:32 PM]
[Sep 2, 2015 6:01:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

On DST, in winter we live in Rome, in summer we move to Bucharest to get the time correct on MVN i.e. 5 months we're close to home, 7 months it's TAFB. Yawning frequently discussed, like pretty much every possible thing you can think of on this software. Soooo, I'm challenging you to come up with an original observation ;>)

WCG content is already Google searchable, haphazardly... they give a dang whether you tell them not to crawl. Here's a funny one, where suddenly I've now moved to Paris: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/vi...leId=3&language=fr_CA

Parbleu
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Sep 2, 2015 6:34:09 PM]
[Sep 2, 2015 6:32:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

What's hilarious was, after hitting on that Google page with fr_CA at the end, it was enough to change the WCG website selected language to French, so you get English/French Guiana pigeon pages served. You can't make this up. laughing
[Sep 2, 2015 7:00:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 108   Pages: 11   [ Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread