Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 15
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 920 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused Project completion total?

Is there a project completion statistic shown somewhere?

I didn't see it in the statistics section of the projects showcase area. I know that this project is just beginning, so the progress might be <1%, but I think it would be cool to see an overall progress indicator anyway.

If I just missed it, can someone direct me?

If it's not there, please add it biggrin. Thanks!
[Nov 19, 2004 2:17:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dataman
Ace Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Project completion total?

Not that anyone I have seen has discovered so far. I would like to see it too. <dataman>
----------------------------------------

[Nov 19, 2004 2:28:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Ya....I'd like to know what the progress is as well.
[Nov 19, 2004 1:22:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Add me to the list of people who want to see overall project progress meter! And maybe a like "on deck" area to start briefing us about the next project comming up.
[Nov 19, 2004 2:37:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Me too! I want to see too!
[Nov 19, 2004 3:28:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Me too !!!!
[Nov 19, 2004 5:30:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
confused Re: Project completion total?

Dosn't seem like much to ask for. But seeing that no one has answered it makes you wonder if anyone cares? Are we just a resource to be used and discarded? Or do we not at least deserve to see the progress of our efforts? I've got a 400 Watt PC it isn't cheap to leave on all day and night. So please at least let us know how we are doing..
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Nov 19, 2004 6:21:05 PM]
[Nov 19, 2004 6:19:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Ya....I'd like to know what the progress is as well.

I second this request. applause
[Nov 19, 2004 7:24:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I'm not sure there is a known end to the project. The computers find candidate solutions which then are looked at by the scientists. When a new candidate is chosen by the scientist, I’d image they take the best one. So after day 1 they are working with some pretty lame stuff, but the longer the projects runs, the better the candidate solutions become.

I’d image eventually they’ll realise that the candidates are not getting any better, or no more candidates are being found. That would be the end of the project. However I don’t think they have magical numbers to how many they will find. As they start getting the data back (and it does appear that they are being swamped with it right now) they may be able to start making guesses to the duration.

Think of it as how long will it take you to hit a home run. You may do it on the first hit, but it might take you all night/week/year/….. After you have hit for an evening, I could look to see how close you are getting to the wall. If you are close I might think you’ll get one any time now. If you are still in the infield then I’ll come back next month!
[Nov 19, 2004 8:22:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I imagine they have some type of rough estimate.

I was involved in another GRID project several years back dealing with cancer research. They estimated the work done bye the GRID in 10 months would have taken 10 years, had they had to do all the calculations and comparisons on their own computers.

It was nice to know as a group we cut 9 years off their research time. It would also be nice to have some indicator as to what this GRID is saving in time or contributing to the effort.
[Nov 20, 2004 1:25:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread