Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 33
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15948 times and has 32 replies Next Thread
Cyclops
Senior Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Workunit testing & FAQ announcement thread

Hi everyone, we have noticed many users are confused about the WU rollout last week and errors they have been receiving, resulting in many repeated questions. Below are the links to the two previous threads on the topic. Before posting questions, we encourage you to check these common FAQs.

Initial announcement thread
FAQ thread
Second FAQ thread

Reminder, we have not fully restarted the application. Last week we have started the "extended" testing where volunteers can contribute to science while helping us to identify errors. We will notify all volunteers by multiple channels once we are fully ready.

Thanks for all of your help during this phase!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cyclops at Jul 25, 2022 2:37:04 PM]
[Jul 11, 2022 4:27:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Greg_BE
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Workunit testing & FAQ announcement thread

Do you have any new news to report?
There are a few of us that get nothing (I've been a week without work) and others that get flooded (some people I know from another project).

Are you going to update BOINC (program people) with your new URL? It currently has https: instead of the http: that your project is insisting we use now. Or will you go back to https:?

Us few are wondering when you will become a stable project again. Do you have a timeline that you are working with? Is there a "deadline" as to when you expect to become stable?
[Jul 20, 2022 6:29:47 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Unixchick
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

They don't have a date or deadline. It will work when it works. They are methodically working on each problem as it pops up. The sooner the better for them and for us, so I'm sure they will let us know as soon as it appears stable.

If the testing phase is too stressful, then wait until they make the official announcement that they are out of the testing phase and ready to resume "normal". Please be prepared for this "normal" to be different than the previous IBM normal.

My outsider guess is that they have either a hardware issue or a connection issue and are probably waiting for an outside entity to fix the connection or for parts for a server. As the download errors for the small amount of WUs they have released so far doesn't bode well for all of asking for WUs yet.
[Jul 20, 2022 1:21:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jim1348
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I would suggest that they just lower their ambitions and do only their own projects, and a few others.

A large one like OPN should probably be done by Scripps on their own servers. They could start with a clean slate, and use the latest BOINC software.
[Jul 20, 2022 3:17:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

It would be nice if Cyclops would at least post a daily update even if it is only a sentence or two.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jul 20, 2022 4:36:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Yavanius
Senior Cruncher
Antarctica
Project Badges:

Bad news: There was a substitute janitor last night and he vacuumed the room where the good server was shrunk...

Good news: That room has never been so clean! Such a clean room...

;)
[Jul 21, 2022 1:54:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Amr Adam
Advanced Cruncher
Egypt
Project Badges:

Any updates?
[Jul 27, 2022 1:33:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Cyclops
Senior Cruncher

[Jul 27, 2022 2:05:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

So, no news is supposed to be good news? confused

Ralf sad

[Jul 27, 2022 2:46:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

They seems to be working on the Profiles now. I'm getting more recent replies in Boinc now, and not something from Feb 2022:

World Community Grid 2022-07-27 19:24:57 General prefs: from World Community Grid (last modified 25-Jun-2022 00:46:35 )

I have modified the profiles since then, but we're getting closer anyhow,

Edit: But one of the computers I had on the "Home" profile, now suddenly is on "Default"
Ah well, I can change that back again smile

So, watch out for your profiles now folks, your computers may jump profiles.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Grumpy Swede at Jul 27, 2022 5:41:21 PM]
[Jul 27, 2022 5:36:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread