Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 15
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 24569 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
Cyclops
Senior Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
2022-10-03 (System error explanation)

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, the database storing user data for the WCG website and forums went down yesterday morning. The database is back online now and users are again able to login to the website and forums. We have identified the root cause of this problem, and put steps in place to prevent this from happening in the future.

All data is intact, the BOINC backend was not affected, and we will be able to reflect the workunits sent in yesterday while the website was down in the My Contribution page shortly. We will also be able to include the backlog of results from the testing phase, which we are working to include in the various My Contribution widgets retroactively.

Apologies for the inconvenience this must have caused.

WCG Team at Krembil Research Institute, UHN
[Oct 3, 2022 7:31:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bfmorse
Senior Cruncher
US
Project Badges:
Re: 2022-10-03 (System error explanation)

Thanks for the info.
Is there anyway we could take conversations to email?

Bruce
[Oct 3, 2022 8:14:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Cyclops
Senior Cruncher

Hi Bruce, if you want to talk to any team members, use support@worldcommunitygrid.org.
[Oct 3, 2022 8:30:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bfmorse
Senior Cruncher
US
Project Badges:

That works, thanks!
I am at work right now but will respond when I get home.

Bruce
[Oct 3, 2022 8:35:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rgarvey
Cruncher
Project Badges:

WU downloads still seem to be a major issue that seemed to be reduced and heading in the right direction until the full restoration was announced. It seems that total system download capacity is still an issue waiting a complete resource allocation of server and/or network capacity.....
----------------------------------------

[Edit 1 times, last edit by rgarvey at Oct 3, 2022 11:26:33 PM]
[Oct 3, 2022 11:25:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Thanks for the reply. The information"the database went down" is kind of generic. Any chance for a more technical explanation ?
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Oct 3, 2022 11:58:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, the database storing user data for the WCG website and forums went down yesterday morning.
You might want to check you logs again. The web site and forum were down/showed errors since Saturday morning (10/1), that would be the day before yesterday. And the download issues, which still persist at 6pm PDT, even started on Friday...

Ralf sad

[Oct 4, 2022 1:07:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DennyInDurham
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Downloads AREN'T. Forcing with "retry transfer" sometimes gets a couple, but otherwise nothing to run.
[Oct 4, 2022 3:11:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Robokapp
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

well... where's the explanation?

what caused the system error? what will prevent the next system error?
[Oct 4, 2022 5:35:46 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
AlmightyMoe
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Well now that the forums are back online I don't need to resort to reddit to see if something was wrong with my setup or we are still in a teething situation. Looks like my 1-2 jobs at a time (I got max 4 at 1 time) is not unique to myself.

Glad the forums and backend is now resolved, at least.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by AlmightyMoe at Oct 4, 2022 9:26:57 AM]
[Oct 4, 2022 9:24:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread