Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 304 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
the_sci
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused BOINC Census Results 2023

Check out what the community said about BOINC in 2023

https://thesciencecommons.org/BOINC/Census/2023/

Feel free to comment on the results in this post or share your thoughts in the BOINC Network discord , this forum, or wherever you connect with the network.

Get notified via e-mail when the census happens next year or follow us on Mastodon , Twitter , and Facebook . Check out our free e-mail newsletter on substack .

The census happens yearly and is run by the Science Commons Initiative, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity dedicated to rebuilding the bridge of trust and participation between the public and science.
[Jan 24, 2024 9:07:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
D_S_Spence
Advanced Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:
Re: BOINC Census Results 2023

I don't remember hearing of the BOINC Census. Where was it advertised?
[Jan 25, 2024 7:04:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alged
Master Cruncher
FRANCE
Project Badges:

First time i hear abt that BOINC Census thks for the links.I do suscribe for 2024.
Regards
----------------------------------------

[Jan 29, 2024 8:39:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ericinboston
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

A few points:

1)I've never heard of this census and tracking it back by the OP, it was 1 single post on this community forum. If you are to post future census polls, you should post a few times here (not sure where else you publicized) instead of just once.

2)This poll had ~500 respondents. And that's out of hundreds of thousands of registered users and at worst maybe 20,000. 500 people is a very, very small sample size and can easily be skewed (maybe only newbies replied, for example). If you're not polling about 20% of your user base, there's really no point in polling.

3)I do agree with many of the points in the "Your feedback" section at the bottom of https://thesciencecommons.org/BOINC/Census/2023/ Specifically:

-BOINC should be publicized more, whether that be social media, forums, instant messaging, etc.
-People are concerned about the slow decline of projects and their user base.
-More support for ARM processors for both SOCs and mobile phones
-More communication from project admins

I am very concerned that it feels like we have 300 people contributing to WCG when years ago we had hundreds of thousands. That's what it feels like. And that's what it feels like from the extreme lack of communication from WCG and lack of communication (in laymens terms) from the Projects about WHAT HAS ALL OUR WORK ACCOMPLISHED THE PAST 6-12 MONTHS.

WCG (and/or its Projects) has refused to port to mobile devices (such as iPhone, iPad) that number in the many billions which would make WCG so much more available than a traditional computer (which many people simply either no longer use, power on, or own) and more importantly, yield far times the # of Results in far less time. But no. WCG seems to be the only app that can't figure out how to run on iOS.

Lastly, why WCG refuses to actively promote itself on the web, magazine articles, magazine advertisements, school promotions, contests on the WCG homepage (such as for schools or businesses to see how much they can crunch for 30 days), tv/youtube science talkshows, etc. is beyond me. And this has been a problem for AT LEAST 10 YEARS if not far longer. It's like WCG staff created the webpage in 2003 and then just quit.
----------------------------------------

[Feb 3, 2024 4:34:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
the_sci
Cruncher

We promoted the census to as many places as we could and we hope to grow our responses each year. It's good to see people are signing up to be notified next year.

Among other places we posted it to:
Every BOINC project forum we could register an account on
BOINC facebook groups
BOINC reddit & lemmy groups
BOINCNetwork Discord
Our twitter/mastodon accounts

We also emailed the admins of every BOINC project asking them to put it in the "news" section that shows up in BOINC manager.

Looking forward to seeing next year's results. Keep on crunchin!
[Feb 3, 2024 11:14:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread