Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 21
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 36963 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
New project???

While I was on the Fightaids@home page I scrolled down and saw this:

"After achieving some very promising preliminary results, we are now planning to create a new malaria project on the World Community Grid, within the next year or two. We are currently considering naming the project "AutoDocking Molecules to Fight Malaria" (AMFM). What do you think? Would you like to help?"

How long ago was this written?

Are you getting close to launch it?

Also could you update the status page?
----------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Aug 18, 2010 4:10:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: New project???

At bottom of page is says: Last modified: 7/31/2010 by Dr. Alex L. Perryman

I'm quite pleased with that prospect. Malaria resilience is on the increase again and the haves will have interest too. The tropics are expanding north as are the carrying bugs. malaria.control.net only looks at the behavioral part of mosquitoes... not anything to treat AFAIU.

From past posting, when experiment 33 is finished completely we'll go back to experiment 32.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Aug 18, 2010 4:39:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
roundup
Veteran Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:

malaria.control.net only looks at the behavioral part of mosquitoes... not anything to treat AFAIU.

Yes.
Malariacontrol.net is an epidemiology project and calculates spreading scenarios of malaria and how best to contain an outbreak.

The Olson Team will be more interested in a virology project that targets the malaria bug (because virology is the main businees of this superb team).
[Aug 18, 2010 6:05:27 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

New status update .

We are at 76% on experiment 33.

[Aug 18, 2010 8:33:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mgl_ALPerryman
FightAIDS@Home, GO Fight Against Malaria and OpenZika Scientist
USA
Project Badges:
biggrin Re: New project???

Hello Falconet,

Kudos for being observant! I wrote that paragraph a few months ago, in order to stake my claim on the name "AutoDocking Molecules to Fight Malaria" (AMFM). Since the first internet-distributed computing project focused on analyzing radio waves (i.e., SETI@Home), I want to use AMFM as the handle for the malaria project I plan to create on the WCG.

Unfortunately, we are still probably at least 1-2 years away from launching AMFM. I started this malaria project "for fun," mostly during my nights and weekends. I have now assembled a team of collaborators that includes a skilled medicinal chemist (Assoc. Prof. Subhash Sinha) and a prominent malaria parasitologist. I did a virtual screen with AutoDock that identified 6 potential inhibitors of dihydrofolate reductase from malaria (i.e., Plasmodium falciparum DHFR). When my collaborator, Dr. Selina Bopp in Elizabeth Winzeler's lab at TSRI, tested these 6 compounds in malaria parasite growth assays in human red blood cells, 2 of the 6 compounds killed the wild type and a multi-drug-resistant malaria superbug at low micro-Molar concentrations. Thus, we have identified 2 promising "hits" against malaria. We have also designed many derivatives of one of these compounds, in order to try to both increase its potency and to allow us to test 4 different design strategies that have been shown to help suppress the evolution of drug resistance in other multi-drug-resistant superbug systems. I am now writing a paper on these exciting new results. I wrote two different grant proposals on this malaria project, but the review panels at the NIH did not like the fact that I am focusing on Pf DHFR. The NIH rejected these grant proposals, because they want me to use a different target.

Since we don't have any grant funds to pay for personnel, the computational equipment, the compounds we will want to test, or the cost of performing the assays, we will have to delay launching this project until we get some funding. Since I've started my 6th year as a postdoctoral fellow, I am currently applying for faculty positions at several different universities in the U.S. and in Canada, as well as at the NIAID (the section of the NIH that focuses on infectious diseases). When I get a faculty position or a job at the NIAID, I can use the "start-up funds" to pay for this malaria project against Pf DHFR and against another drug target from malaria I have selected recently. But we have to wait to try to launch AMFM on the WCG until some funding has been obtained for this project.

When I start my own lab, I also plan to try to create a WCG project focused on extremely-drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB). Although I won't continue to lead the day-to-day operations of FightAIDS@Home forever, when I start my own lab, I definitely plan to remain part of the FAAH team. Thus, my new lab will focus on the three deadliest infectious diseases: HIV, malaria, and TB.

Thank you all very much for your interest and for your help,
Alex L. Perryman, Ph.D.
[Aug 20, 2010 7:44:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

"but the review panels at the NIH did not like the fact that I am focusing on Pf DHFR"

If you have positive results why dont they accept it?!

Good luck on all your plans.

[Aug 20, 2010 8:53:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

Dr. Perryman,

if you had the funding now would you be able to start the project maybe even this year?

Rosetta@home got a grant from the Gates Foundation to develop HIV vaccines.
The grant was of 19.4 million dollars.
Rosetta@home designed potencial vaccines but there are no news about this since 2008.

Since you already have some "hits" that work I am almost certainly that The Gates Foundation will accept your proposal.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org

I hope I helped

[Edit 3 times, last edit by Falconet at Aug 21, 2010 1:34:01 PM]
[Aug 21, 2010 11:21:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mgl_ALPerryman
FightAIDS@Home, GO Fight Against Malaria and OpenZika Scientist
USA
Project Badges:
sad Re: New project???

Hi Falconet,

I was surprised that the NIH didn't fund it, too (especially since the 2nd grant proposal included the malaria parasite growth assay data). It was an incredibly disappointing and almost soul-crushing experience. But at least the 2nd grant proposal received a better score than my first attempt. It was almost fundable, but not quite there. Since ~ the year 2000, the NIH only funds about 10 to 20% of grant proposals, depending on the type of proposal it is. However, I'm confident that the NIH will eventually fund my malaria project(s). I just need to be persistent.

Thanks for the advice, but I've already considered that option. Unfortunately, from what I've been told, TSRI is not eligible to apply for grants from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Apparently, TSRI's "indirect costs" (i.e., overhead expenses) on grant proposals are a bit too high for the limits set by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. But when I start my own lab at another institution, I definitely plan to apply for grants from them for my HIV, malaria, and TB projects.

Best wishes,
Alex L. Perryman, Ph.D.
[Aug 21, 2010 7:19:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

Well I hope NIH eventually accept your proposals.

Also would it be possible to have a small area in the Fightaids@home website where would show how many compounds are "hits" and are being tested in the laboratory.Same for Leads if possible.

Something like:

Compounds select from computer simulations - X
Compounds being tested - X
Compounds demonstrating activity against HIV - X

Thank you Dr.Perryman

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Falconet at Aug 22, 2010 9:40:27 PM]
[Aug 22, 2010 5:28:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/33752.wss

According to this article a grant will fund the malaria project.

Am I supposing right when I say the project has been approved by WCG and that you can start working on it, Dr. Perryman?

I hope so.Maybe even this year we could get started with the project at WCG?

[Feb 24, 2011 4:24:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread