Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 23
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 20628 times and has 22 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused Building a fast computer for WCG

Hi all. I currently have:
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 650 @ 3.20GHz 56 °C
Clarkdale 32nm Technology
RAM
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
FOXCONN H55M-S (CPU 1) 27 °C
Graphics
BenQ G2420HD (1920x1080@60Hz)
AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB
Hard Drives
977GB Seagate ST31000528AS ATA Device (SATA)

I was wondering what would be the most powerful system to just do the FightAIDS@Home project. I was thinking of getting a Intel Core i7 960 Processor LGA1366 3.2GHz 8MB Cache CPU and ocing it to 4ghz. I believe this one has 6 cores? And getting 8 gig of 2200mhz ram.

Or would this be better, Intel Xeon Quad Core E3-1245/3.23GHz/8M Cache/LGA1155/GFX x 2 of those on a server motherboard, but it only supports up to 1333mhz ram...don't know if that would make much difference?

At the end of the day I want to help solve problems and solve them fast. I am passionate about making a difference and crunching numbers for a cure.

Second question is, you can only run one name on 1 pc right? as in, I can't use my nick, Seroph4x to fold on multiple clients to get more points can I?

Thanks all and keep on folding for a cure/solution to many different projects.
[Jul 13, 2011 5:35:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:
Re: Building a fast computer for WCG

The i7-960 only has 4 cores (8 threads), but the CPU has a 130W TDP so it's not really a good investment. A Sandy Bridge i7-2600K would be better.

A dual skt 3.23GHz system would do about 4 or 5 times what you currently have, but it's pricey. You should consider waiting for the next Sandy Bridge processors. 1333MHz would be sufficient for FAAH on that system.

You can use Seroph4x to fold on multiple clients to get more points smile
[Jul 13, 2011 7:13:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The i7-960 only has 4 cores (8 threads), but the CPU has a 130W TDP so it's not really a good investment. A Sandy Bridge i7-2600K would be better.

A dual skt 3.23GHz system would do about 4 or 5 times what you currently have, but it's pricey. You should consider waiting for the next Sandy Bridge processors. 1333MHz would be sufficient for FAAH on that system.

You can use Seroph4x to fold on multiple clients to get more points smile

Thanks for the reply sir.

So I can download the WCG - BOINC Manager and use that on a different pc with my name Seroph4x and i'll get more points?

Also, why can't the intel xeon cpu's and motherboards support faster than 1333mhz ram? i have seen 2200mhz ram and would like to use that if i bought a server.

based on what you said i am guessing that the xeons are great for folding?
[Jul 13, 2011 7:23:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
martin64
Senior Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

So I can download the WCG - BOINC Manager and use that on a different pc with my name Seroph4x and i'll get more points?

Absolutely. That's how the power crunchers gain their zillions of credits every day biggrin

In my opinion they are too expensive - you do not benefit from having all the cores in one single computer if you just want to crunch for WCG.

Instead, you may want to buy a i7 2600K system, very much down to the roots (no graphics card - use built-in; small hard disk;...) , install Linux 64-bit on it and get it running. If you then feel you want to spend more money on the project, just do it again: buy another i7 2600K system and double your contribution at much lower total cost than with a single dual Xenon system.

Regards,
Martin
----------------------------------------

[Edit 1 times, last edit by martin64 at Jul 13, 2011 8:50:30 AM]
[Jul 13, 2011 8:26:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Absolutely. That's how the power crunchers gain their zillions of credits every day biggrin

In my opinion they are too expensive - you do not benefit from having all the cores in one single computer if you just want to crunch for WCG.

Instead, you may want to buy a i7 2600K system, very much down to the roots (no graphics card - use built-in; small hard disk;...) , install Linux 64-bit on it and get it running. If you then feel you want to spend more money on the project, just do it again: buy another i7 2600K system and double your contribution at much lower total cost than with a single dual Xenon system.

Regards,
Martin

Thanks for the reply Martin. I have heard that the 2600k have great overclock potential but I don't know how to overclock. Could you build me a really good value 2600k system from www.umart.com.au please? If you could get the price under $1000 AUD that would be great.

How much faster would a 2600k system with 4 gig of 2200mhz ram be over my current i5 duel core? can't wait to fold on a quad core!

Also, the FightAIDS@home project does not use any GPU power right?

Thanks!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jul 13, 2011 9:14:10 AM]
[Jul 13, 2011 9:09:05 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
krakatuk
Advanced Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

Hi Seroph4x!

You can use your account on all your pcs.

Xeons are not much different to the normal Intel CPUs. But you can build a system with two of them and there are several CPUs with more cores (but expensive). That's the advantage. On the other side it's very hard, sometimes even impossible to overclock them.
Normally Xeon CPU's and motherboards don't support overclocking and faster RAM because they are build for servers, which have to run 24x7 for years. That means, they should be stable first of all - performance is less important.

Currently I'm planing an upgrade as well, but still waiting for next Sandy Bridge CPUs or AMD Bulldozer. They should come in next months.
If you want to build a system right now, take i7-2600K and overclock it. It's most efficient for the price.

[Jul 13, 2011 9:12:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
krakatuk
Advanced Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

There is only 2-3% performance difference between 2200Mhz and 1333Mhz RAM. And most of 1333 can go up to 1600. So it makes not much sense to spend money for the fastest one.

[Jul 13, 2011 9:18:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
martin64
Senior Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

I have heard that the 2600k have great overclock potential but I don't know how to overclock.

You will learn how to do that, as soon as you have the system in place. wink

Could you build me a really good value 2600k system from www.umart.com.au please? If you could get the price under $1000 AUD that would be great.

Not used to Umart, but here is what I would buy if I had the same requirements as you have:

• i7-2600K Boxed (250 EUR)
  • 8G low cost RAM, set of 2 modules DDR3-1333 (40 EUR)
  • Low cost mainboard with Z68 chip set that includes DVI to connect my monitor (100 EUR)
  • Low cost case(20 EUR)
  • Power supply around 300W with high efficiency (30 EUR)
  • Low cost SATA hard drive, e.g. Samsung Spinpoint F3 250GB (30 EUR)

Total: 470 EUR - that's 620 AUD.

I would NOT go for the high-end components, but rather save the money to buy another system - much more crunching power for the money. DDR-1333 will do. Z68 allows for overclocking. As soon as you know how to overclock, you may wish to replace the "boxed" fan by a more powerful one. I explicitly omitted any DVD, keyboard, mouse or monitor, because I would use what I have to set the system up, and then leave it alone and remote configure.

How much faster would a 2600k system with 4 gig of 2200mhz ram be over my current i5 duel core?

Twice the number of cores, roughly the same clock speed -> roughly twice the crunching performance. Don't expect the 2200M RAM to add any measurable value.

If you want to spend your 1000 AED budget, you could get:

• 2x i5-2500K Boxed (2x170 EUR)
  • 2x 8G low cost RAM, set of 2 modules DDR3-1333 (2x40 EUR)
  • 2x Low cost mainboard with Z68 chip set that includes DVI to connect my monitor(2x100 EUR)
  • 2x Low cost case(2x20 EUR)
  • 2x Power supply around 300W with high efficiency (2x30 EUR)
  • 1x Low cost SATA hard drive, e.g. Samsung Spinpoint F3 250GB (30 EUR) - let the second computer be diskless and the first act as a server

Total: 750 EUR - 990 AUD.

Since the difference between i5 and i7 is basically hyperthreading, one i7 system may have ~20% better performance than one i5 system. However, the 2 i5 systems with their 8 cores will outperform the single i7 by at least 60%.

Regards,
Martin

[Jul 13, 2011 10:17:54 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
martin64
Senior Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

Currently I'm planing an upgrade as well, but still waiting for next Sandy Bridge CPUs or AMD Bulldozer. They should come in next months.

Taking the info from the Internet, the next generation Sandy Bridge (Ivy Bridge) will not appear before Q1 2012. Less power & more GHz. So why wait? I guess when Ivy Bridge is there, of course the next generation of processors is on the horizon, so wait for that then? biggrin

Regards,
Martin

[Jul 13, 2011 10:23:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
krakatuk
Advanced Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

Ok, in this case I'll just wait for Bulldozer till september ;o)
I'm upgrading from Q6600 quad core and want to go to more cores...

[Jul 13, 2011 12:17:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread